Tuesday, June 17, 2008

An Unexpected Day At Work

This past Saturday was an unexpected bad day at work. I went in to work thinking that it was going to be one of the best days of work for so many reasons.

1) One of our most time consuming children was being discharged and moving back with his parents.
2) Two residents were on home passes until next weekend.
3) Four residents were going on an outing for almost the whole day. So...
4) That only left FOUR residents behind with three staff!!

This could have very easily been one of the best and easiest days I've had since I've worked there. The staff were all ready to order pizza for our lunch and have cake in the afternoon. But that wonderful day immediately turned bad.

I was left in charge of some belongings to the resident (Billy) that was supposed to be discharged. My supervisor gave me his Game Boy, 5 games to his Game Boy, His Nintendo DS with one game, his mix max (kinda like an mp3), and his allowance ($103). Within a 3-hour period, someone stole everything but the GameBoy out of the staff office. I orginally thought some staff was playing some trick but it never showed back up. Then I thought that maybe a staff accidentally left the door unlocked and somehow, one of the residents got in to the office. So, I searched the whole cottage, every kid's drawers, closets, night stands, beds, cubbies, and I found nothing. When I finally called my supervisor to tell him what happened, he told me that I should have called as soon as I noticed that it was missing because he would have had the police come out. I wish I would have known that because I would have done that way earlier. So much time had gone by and someone could have easily slipped the stuff out of the cottage.

So, now at this point my suspicion is that a staff member off of my floor is the person that stole these things. I have been stressing about this ever since Saturday because I really hate to think that one of the people that I directly work with would actually do this. So, on Wednesday, I have to go back to work knowing that there is somebody there that I can no longer trust and somebody that obviously does not care about my future at this place or that I will probably have to pay for the missing items. At the same time, I am sure that the people in administration are probably thinking that they can no longer trust me. In addition to all of this, the child that was discharged does not have his stuff.

Anyhow, I really just had to vent about this because it has been turning my stomach all day today and yesterday. Please keep me in your prayers about this situation and especially if you remember me when I return to work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Heather Hekman said...

I'm so sorry that happened. I have a few, "If I had it to do over again..." times. I'll pray for you and the situation.